Contribution Guide

Hey Developers,

At Teverse, we’re always looking to find ways to engage our community with our products. Whether it be on the forum, the discord or through fun coding tasks, our goal is to get you involved.

In the spirit of doing so, we’ve decided to release a full guide that’s geared towards contributing, bug reports, feature requests, code of conduct and setting up a local development workspace. Documentation of our codebase will come in phases as it’s a bit extensive and takes time to properly document. Documentation will be updated/added on our Docs Site and within the codebase itself so, keep a lookout for that.

This guide assumes that you (as the developer) has a working knowledge of the following:

Please read the following before attempting to contribute:

Teverse is comprised of components that work together to help the developer develop and learn about game development. The catalyst that’s used is known as Workshop. Workshop is an interface that allows developers to interact with the Teverse API in a(n) 3D environment.

Note: Make sure you have Teverse installed on your machine before you attempt to do this. It’s not possible to do otherwise. If you don’t have it downloaded, download it here .

Note: Windows 10 is the only platform available for install. While we do support other platforms such as Linux and macOS, we do not have a download option for these platforms at the moment. When it does become available, this guide will be updated.

In order to get started, you must clone the base repository to your local machine. You can use a variety of text editors or shells but, today we’re going to be using Visual Studio Code.

Using Visual Studio Code, we’re going to open up a terminal instance. Navigate to the Terminal tab and click New Terminal in the dropdown menu.
Screen-Recording-2020-03-22-at-6

Head over to Teverse’s Housing Repository and fork it. This ensures that all changes are pushed to your fork and not to the main repository by mistake.

Navigate to your the fork you’ve just made. The link should look like this https://github.com/YOURUSERNAME/teverse where YOURUSERNAME is a placeholder for your username on Github.

Obtain the download URL from your fork.

Note: For me, the download URL is https://github.com/Sanjay-B/teverse.git .

Navigate back to Visual Studio Code & clone your fork to your local machine. The directory doesn’t matter but, most sane people clone directly into Desktop or a folder located in Desktop.

To clone, we run the following command: git clone <download url>

Note: For me, I’d run the following: git clone https://github.com/Sanjay-B/teverse.git

You’ll notice that a folder is now viewable in your Visual Studio Code window. If you click the drop-down, it’ll display all of the files that you cloned from your fork.

Note: Alternatively, pressing Ctrl + R and typing %localappdata%/teverse/create.lua works as shorthand.

Now that our fork is installed correctly on our local machine, we have to get Teverse to recognize our fork and not the default repository. We can do this by going to the path C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Teverse. In this path, you’ll see a file named create.lua .
unnamed-7

Open that file. While the contents provide ample documentation on what to do, I’ve provided a video for those that learn better by visual means.
Screen-Recording-2020-03-22-at-7

Note: If you provide the wrong path to your teverse folder(the folder you cloned previously), Teverse will error and fail to start.

If you’ve successfully followed these steps, you’ll notice the phrase Beta x.x.x WITH LOCAL TEVGIT .

Note: If you don’t see this by your name and only see a Beta x.x.x , any local changes to your teverse folder that you make will not be saved or viewable in Workshop.

You’ll also notice the Development tab at the top bar next to Main. This is only active when a LOCAL TEVGIT is present. This tab is specifically designed to test workshops and reload certain aspects to see saved changes.

Note: The same items can be seen in Settings -> Development .

Note: In order to see changes, you must press the Reload Workshop button.

When you’ve made an impressive feature or bug fix, push it to your fork and then open a pull request to the Teverse’s Housing Repository . After, all procedures follow the Teverse’s Contributors Guide .

We hope that this creates a better understanding/foundation for developers to use when learning how to set up Teverse. Feel free to leave a comment about this guide or if you come across any issues.

Can’t wait to see what y’all create!

7 Likes

Hey Sanjay,
I’d chage
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Teverse
to
Do CTRL - R. and then type in;
%localappdata%/teverse/create.lua

1 Like

Hey Sasial,

I did this on purpose. I wanted to show the full path to better display where the folder is at.

%localappdata is shorthand. I’ll add this in as an alternative though. I’ve addressed it here.

Thanks.

Hi Sanjay,

I really like how in-depth this starting guide was!

I did encounter a small issue on this part:

With the macOS build, we are not given a create.lua file. Maybe we ought to consider a Start Guide that’s geared towards a unified startup unless 0.20+ will be unified anyways.

cc: @Jay because testing the work I’m doing is potentially blocked by my inability to proceed according to documentation. (That is, unless I’m able to proceed somehow with alternative steps. This is right around where my knowledge ends w/ computer programming.) Push comes to shove, I can send the work to you to input into production.

Thanks again for the hard work put into this. Really insightful.

For macOS, do the following:

Navigate to: /Users/USERNAME/Library/Containers/com.teverse.client.macos/Data/Library/Application Support/com.teverse/ where USERNAME is your username.

In the directory above, create a file named tevgit as a textfile.

In the contents of the tevgit file created above, the body of that file should be the PATH to your teverse fork/clone directory. Reminder: a trail / must be at the end or tevgit will not load.

If you’ve completed these steps, restart the Teverse application and you should see your changes pushed locally.

1 Like

Thanks Sanjay! Appreciate the new directions :slight_smile: … sorry I’m a bit new to this area of dev.

1 Like

For the TevX version of Teverse

New users setting up their environment should know that create.lua was dropped in the TevX + future versions. Not sure if you’re in the latest build? Click here to download it and possibly grab any updates. We’re constantly pushing new releases.

Thanks for being a member of this community!
Superioran

This being the case, this guide is clearly out of date. @Superioran maybe you should close it?

This topic is locked now, we will re-publish a new “set up” guide for our various platforms in the coming future. This topic served as a starting point previously for the original flavor of Teverse.